Sunday, May 6, 2012

Lord of the flies

Bf and I undertook a rather incredible feat on Saturday - we aere on the mountain by 7am. This is made even more incredible by the fact that Friday was my last day at what had become a quite miserable job, and I anticipated a night of many martinis and a hungover morning. But, after many tears and one very bad movie of my choice (which was so bad I won't get to pick the movie for at least a couple months) we had a great dinner at a great restaurant and were home in bed by 10. So I was feeling very mature and grown up arriving at the mountain at 7. After a pit stop made possible by the delicious fried chicken dinner I had, we set off. It was really crowded, so we decided to take a new trail off the beaten path. As the sun got higher in the sky, it grew warmer and the presence of these nasty flies increased. We had some debate about who was sweeter (me because I was clearly attracting more flies, him because he likened flies to sh*t) as we climbed the ever steeper trail. We had started off somewhat arrogantly, joking and chatting, and then running a good part of the first uphill trail. By the time we got to the top, we were sweaty and exhausted and coated with flies. This did provide some motivation to keep moving though, as motion provided some small relief from the nasty buggers, but despite that I took a break to eat a granola bar I had brought in bfs pocket and worried out loud about my diminishing quantity of water to which bf guffawed, and I swear when I arose I was like that pigs head covered in shiny black flies. Anyway we finally made it although neither of us would have done it had we known how hard it was going to be, it was a great accomplishment, and by 10am we were enjoying our ihop breakfast. As it turned out, we did 7 miles and about 1200 feet elevation increase.  Today I am rather fatigued and am taking the day off lounging by the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!