Sunday, May 20, 2012

Backwards

I'm back with scars to show.
Back with the streets I know
Will never take me anywhere but here.
-The Weakerthans

I had a wild and crazy idea this morning.  Do my standard run - but backwards.  I set out and immediately realized it was going to be a struggle today.  Is it that I am a better clockwise runner?  If so, that would explain my poor performances in Vegas.  Or was it my age-old nemisis (I mean days-old nemisis)?  I did have a waffle cone yesterday - was that the problem?  To be safe, I plan on completely abstaining from waffles for a week before any race (to be clear - pancakes are still OK).

I was pulled away from these thoughts about 3/4 mile into my run by an emergency situation.  There was a man on a bike with a shovel riding straight for me.  The only reason he could have a shovel on a bike was that he planned to hit me with it and then use it to bury my body.  In all my planning for man vs. bike, I never considered the biker would have a shovel.  Then I looked closer - it was a two-sided shovel.  I didn't even know there was such a thing.  Cause there isn't.  It was an oar.  Ah, now I can relax.  Biking with an oar is just plain crazy, not serial killer crazy.  Two things to consider from this 1) Never watch Dexter - it just isn't good for you and 2) Does this mean he has a place to store his kayak but not his oar?  Does he rent any old kayak but needs his special oar?  I don't really get it, but I'm not going to ask.

Anyway - I fought through the run and ran my standard (yet backwards) 4.25.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!