Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Leslie Spit

Life goes by so fast
You only want to do what you think is right
Close your eyes and then it's past;
(it's the) story of my life
-Social Distortion


I ran a long way today.  A little under 8.  And slowly.  I wasn't quite right to begin my run because I was going to go at about 2, but things happened that pushed it to after 3, and then I was hungry and yada yada yada.  Since I am a delicate flower finely-tuned athlete, this was enough to throw me off.  But I slogged along and ran into a nature area called the Leslie Spit.  I know that spit is some sort of nature word, but I still think this is an awful name.  In the name of education I looked some things up.  A spit is an elongated often hooked strip of sand or shingle projecting from the shore, deposited by longshore drift, and usually above water.  However, while this sounds like where I was, I also learned that I was actually on a headland and the name is technically incorrect.  I guess spit is such a lovely sounding word that you want to use it even if it isn't exactly right.


Anyway, as I entered the spit, I was attacked by a swarm of gnats (or some other tiny bug - am I making it clear that all of my observations about nature are approximate?)  This might be a good time to mention that if I'm not thinking about it, sometimes I degenerate into a mouth-breathing runner.  So I swallowed about 30,000 of these things.  And then proceeded to spit them out one by one.  So my attempts to rename the Leslie Spit were undone before they even started.  Although as I went through the renaming options, I did think of a great name for an all-girl punk band - Leslie Badlands.


That's as good as it's going to get for a segue into our official song release.  Story Of My Life by the most important punk band of our generation, Social Distortion.  Every running playlist for me has at least one Social Distortion song - and my favorite song changes regularly, but right now it is this one.  Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh8zcbC_Dcw

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!