Monday, April 30, 2012

Jedi mind tricks

Today I had one of the best treadmill runs I have had in a very long time.  AND . . . wait for it . . . I forgot my ipod and didn't even have headphones to plug into the TV.  How did you do it?????  you're asking.  I know, pretty incredible, right?  I used my jedi mind tricks, which I will share here. 

I started out on my normal 2% incline and for whatever reason, I just felt pretty good.  I took turns watching the 3 tvs that were in front of me, trying to name the politicians on Fox news, trying to follow the indoor football game (which I still don't understand the allure, btw), and watching slides of ads and gym activities.  I also periodically scanned the room for people to mock in my head, and transfer such mockage to the page.  Today was dull for people watching though, just a bunch of sweaty gasping people like me. 

So, I was at speed 5, which is 12 min/mi, and after half mile I turned it up to 5.2 (I know, right!!??) and kept going and still felt good!  Then I started to play "when can I rest", which is a mind game where I say, if I get to point A, then I can take a rest.  Today I said after mile 1, I'll turn it down to 1 incline and go until I feel I need a rest.  This usually works because then I just keep going unless I'm totally dying.  So I'm into mile 2 and still feeling decent, watching Bill O'Reilly and his idiot facial expressions was entertainment enough even though I couldn't hear what he was saying.  And watching clips of our handsome president at the correspondent's dinner (which I really don't get, I mean why does Kim effing Kardashian get to see him speak??? what's she "famous" for, a sex tape??  God!!!!!!!).  After half a mile at 1 incline I turned the dial up to . . . wait for it . . . 5.5 speed, which is 11 min/mile.  I am telling you, I was on fire today!!!  And was somewhat beat when I crossed the 2 mile mark, where I said I would turn it down to 0 incline and 5 speed and just go for a bit longer.  And I kept watching the analog clock on the wall, saying just 5 more minutes, etc, but I don't dare look at the actual distance on the treadmill because that always throws me into a defeatist funk ("omg I can't possibly go another .75 miles at this pace, or It's only been .15 mi???")  And, I kept going, only now I'm thinking I feel so good I need to get this all done in less than 35 minutes, which has me up to 5.5 after a half mile, and 6 for the last quarter mile, which is 10 min/mile pace and truly is a sprint for my little legs.  I finished adequately beat and sweaty, and in 34:54, which is the best time I've had on tready for awhile. 

Who knew 3 miles could be so enthralling??

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!