Sunday, April 15, 2012

Beware The Drizzle

A darker grey is breaking through a lighter one ...
I hate Winnipeg
-The Weakerthans

I set off today with the sky medium grey and some light rain falling intermittently.  I thought of the wise advice from Master Shake and tried to "Beware The Drizzle" (Aqua Teen Hunger Force anyone?), but I should have known that my nemesis of over-running would rear its ugly head.  I left the house with a plan and dressed monochromaticly - two things I almost never do - but seem to work for other people.

It turns out the route that I set out didn't really exist.  When I realized this I was stuck in the untenable dilemma of choosing between admitting defeat by turning around or over-running.  When my exit from the Don Valley was provided in the form of 30+ crappy stairs, I was pretty happy that my 6 mile plan wasn't going to be extended into 8 or 9 (only 6.5) and that I didn't need to wade/swim across the nasty water and scale a fence in order to get back to the surface.

Now with the run completed, I can focus on the NHL playoffs.  This is an important time of year here in Canada.  When I first moved here I had the naive (or maybe in retrospect, condescending)  idea that once your local team was eliminated that some nationalist pride would guide fans to cheer for the other Canadian teams.  Of course this isn't true.  I wouldn't assume that Jets fans start cheering for the Giants, or Mets fans root for the Yankees, but I guess I thought the inherent niceness of Canadians would supersede the hatred you have for teams after you meet their fans (except for the St. Louis Cardinals - such nice, polite, Midwestern people).  Anyway - everyone in Canada outside of BC hates the Vancouver Canucks and is thrilled to see them down 0-2 to start their series.  Watch out for this - if they lose tonight and go down three games, the level of panic will be like nothing you've ever seen before.  And those jackholes will probably riot.  What can I say - now I hate them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!