Thursday, April 12, 2012

Full Speed Ahead

Set out runnin' but I take my time
A friend of the devil is a friend of mine-Grateful Dead

I was talking to a friend of mine about running - he is planning on running a 10k in May and he invited me to run with him.  I suggested that I would run it in about an hour and he was surprised it would take me "so long".  So I asked him what he would run it in and he said "I don't know - 54 minutes".  And so I stop myself asking "what's the difference?" because at the last minute I remember that most people really give a damn about their times.

What the hell.   Me too.  I hereby declare my goal of running 2:11 for the 1/2 marathon.  That would be churning out 10 minute miles one after another.  So when I got on the treadmill today I decided to do a one hour challenge to see how far I could run in an hour.  I put up 6.1 miles.  This is right on my 10 minute pace, but there are 2 problems.  First - I don't really believe that the treadmill is an exact replica of the real world.  Second - I was in no mood to churn out another 7 miles at the end of my run.  I'm pretty sure my friend RD Thoughts could put up 7.5 while eating a sandwich and so I now put out the challenge.  Try it out and put up a number for me to shoot for.  I'm waiting.  Patiently.

1 comment:

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!