Sunday, August 29, 2010

Swim

I wasn't going to go today but I was feeling ok this afternoon so I went to the gym and swam a half mile. It was a pretty slow and lazy half mile, but a half mile nonetheless. And interestingly enough I feel better this evening.

Missy, my point in asking that question was because I'm worried you're going to try to do too much too fast and end up hurting yourself. You can argue its none of my business, but I think it is my business because that's why we set up this blog, right? To support and encourage each other?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I should have been irritated with you, and I think I am so irritated with myself that I was bothered by the question. I understand both of you are worried. I will listen to my body and walk when I need to. I really, really don't want to waste that plane ticket by flying out there and then not doing what I set out to do. Know what I mean? I can do this half marathon. I can do 18 minute miles. I don't care if I am last. I need to stop beating myself up and just do the best I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just saying to Sandy the other day that the whole "stop beating yourself up" is, for me, the heart of the matter. It is the difference between making exercise a part of your life and exercising in fits and starts. People who exercise regularly and make it part of the fabric of their lives rarely spend time excoriating themselves for doing five miles instead of six or for taking a few days off, or for not making their time goal for whatever race. At least, that has been my observation. But it is something I struggle with as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Mari. People who exercise regularly don't beat themselves up because they know that regardless of what happened today, they will be out there again tomorrow trying again, and there's always tomorrow. And they've learned that for every bad run there's a good run that you'll find if you just keep pressing on.

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!