Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I rock

Have to post about today's run. Was going to be a normal treadmill day, was not expecting anything to report..... so, I go down to the gym and I am really not wanting to go at all, the only reason I went is because I knew I would feel better if I did and I was sick of being in the office anyway. So, I go down and I'm all telling myself "well, I'm going to go slow because I don't care and I don't want to be here anyway and I'll probably only do three miles, not four like I usually do". So, I walk the first three minutes, like I always do and I am trying to decide what intervals I want to do. I settle on 3:4 intervals and at the three minute mark I put the treadmill up to 4.5 miles per hour. I typically do the run intervals on the treadmill at 4.8 or 5.0 depending on how I am feeling. So, I am running along and I am thinking to myself "this feels really good and I bet I could just run the whole three miles" so I decide to just see how long I can run before taking a walk break, telling myself that I can take one whenever I want.

WELL, I ended up running FOUR miles, with just ONE three minute walk break. My time was the same it always is on the treadmill, 13:20 miles, but I ran almost the whole way.

I feel really good about it!

3 comments:

  1. You're just too awesome! Now when Mom or Patty asks if you ran the whole way, you can say yes! LOLOL But seriously, that must have felt really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess there's something to the theory that you are faster with walk breaks. My first half my goal was to run the whole way, and I did, but it took me 3:18. In Jan I walked quite a bit and my time was 2:49. Guess you run faster when you do run and that makes up for the walk? Its true in the gym too, I'll do 12.5 min miles on treadmill but on the track when I'm alternating walking/running laps I'll do 12 or 11.5 min miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it must be true, because I have the same experience. I also consistently go slower on the treadmill, even with the walk/run intervals, I have no idea why, I just know it's true.

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!