Sunday, August 8, 2010

exercise myth

This is something Mari and I have discussed quite a bit, and I will say that its true. When I'm on the treadmill I burn close to the same number of calories per mile regardless of whether I'm walking or running.

1. Walking is not as effective as running.
Sure, you'll burn about twice as many calories running for 30 minutes than walking for 30 minutes. But if a runner and a walker cover the same distance, they burn about the same number of calories. So if you're willing to take the 'slow route,' you'll likely lose just as much weight. In fact, studies have proved that how long you exercise matters more than how hard you exercise.

This one is true though in my experience, I am always hungrier the day after I run than on days I don't. Particularly in the morning and lunch time.

2. Exercise increases hunger
It's a common misconception: If you burn hundreds of calories during a workout, you'll end up eating more. But research shows that exercise has no effect on a person's food needs, with the exception of endurance athletes who exercise for two hours a day or more. In fact, research shows that exercise often suppresses hunger during and after the workout.

This one is something we've often discussed as well. The "experts" disagree with you Mari! haha.

4. Diet alone is enough for sustained weight loss
You'll lose weight in the short term by slashing calories, but experts say exercise is what keeps pounds off for good. Exercise burns calories, of course. It also builds muscle, which takes up less space than fat. Muscle tissue also requires more calories to sustain it than fat tissue does. In other words, the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you'll burn at rest. In fact, some studies suggest that over the long term, if you had a choice of eating consistently less or exercising consistently more, exercise would be the better weight-loss choice.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, that is not true at all. They agree with me completely, I think. I have always said that exercise helps you "keep pounds off for good". Exercise is what sustains the weight loss and makes it so you are not as likely to gain it back. But to lose weight in the "short term" which is, let's face it, what most people are looking for, hitting the gym is about as helpful as hitting yourself in the face. That's all I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it is true, walking IS just as effective as running. You might even have to call it exercise!

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!