Thursday, August 9, 2012

Structure and Compromise

But the fist I've made for years won't hold or feel
No I'm not all me
So please excuse me while I tend to how I feel
-Metallica

So I had some designs on a long run today, but I was on a call that took longer than I expected and so I modified my plans.  I decided to do a structured run - 10 minutes of a slow jog, 10 minutes of a fairly fast run, and then 10 minutes of a slow jog.  As you know, I'm not so big on watches or timing things, and so I decided that 3 songs roughly equals 10 minutes and so I would alternate in sets of 3 songs. 

I think I started out all wrong.  I jog at the most comfortable pace I can.  And so if I'm now supposed to jog at a slower pace to conserve energy for the running portion then I'm already uncomfortable and it's the easy part.  Anyway, I made it to the part where we run and took off.  And immediately started making compromises in my mind.  I decided I would run hard for one song and then walk for one and then run hard for another.  A little bit disappointing, but not unexpected.  Not like the sour-faced vaulter, more like Lolo.

I think it was a good run overall.  I think I really need to add more structured runs (or intervals) into the mix.  Total distance was about 3 miles.

Also - Structure and Compromise will be the title of these blogs when I release them as an album.  Just having some trouble with Morgan Freeman's people for the voice overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!