Friday, August 17, 2012

How old is your soul?

The gods were smiling on me this morning. It rained in the desert last night, and it was a remarkable 80 degrees this morning as I started up the trail.  As I climbed a rocky hill near the 1.5 mile mark, I ran into this old soul on the trail. He was so beautiful and I couldn't believe my luck. I probably wouldn't have seen him at all except this girl pointed him out to me. I sat with him for about 20 minutes just watching him amble his way up the trail and pointing him out to the few other folks on the mountain this morning. I watched him until he found his way back into the brush. After that, I knew I had to go all the way to the top and I did. There was a remarkably cool wind blowing at the top and I wanted to weep with joy. It felt like fall. As I made my way down the back of the mountain the sun did make an appearance, to my dismay. I feared I would melt, and thought about the lone black girl on my high school basketball team, when she was complaining one day about having to run in the heat. Coach said "don't worry, you won't melt" and she put her hands on her hips and said "why you think they call me brown sugar?". I don't know why I remember that, but it makes me laugh sometimes when I'm exercising in the sun. And then, if you thought this run couldn't get any more strange, I passed a guy on a unicycle making his way up the trail. I. Kid. You. Not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!