Sunday, August 26, 2012

Home For A Rest

You"ll have to excusee me, I'm not at my best
I've been gone for a month, I've been drunk since I left
These so-called vacations will soon be my death
I'm so sick from the drink I need home for a rest.
-Spirit of the West

 
One thing I've been thinking about is treating the half marathon as a series of smaller runs in between water stations.  I might do better if I run to the water station, walk while I enjoy my refreshment, and then run to the next station.  This does mean that I lose one of my favorite parts of the half marathon - grabbing a cup and drinking while running and then tossing the cup down wherever.  It makes me feel like an Olympic athlete.  And it reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with the coffee.  So much that I like.  But anyway, I thought today I would run a 2.1 mile loop around my neighborhood, stop at my house for water, and repeat, and then repeat again.  It would be a little bit like a hockey game - 3 periods with intermissions.

First loop was uneventful.  Water break was nice.  Second loop was a little painful.  Water break was extended a little and I changed my drenched shirt for one that would soon be drenched.  Third loop was difficult.  But all in all successful.  6.3 miles.  No heat stroke or dehydration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!