Friday, August 31, 2012

Rant of the Refugee

Warm yourself by the fire, son,
And the morning will come soon.
I’ll tell you stories of a better time,
In a place that we once knew.
-Rise Against
I didn't have a lot of time today, because I have to take my son to get some shots.  Wait - it feels like I've written that before.  I have a long rant on this subject, but I don't think I can deliver it coherently, so I'll just sum up.  This situation speaks to a system that is really broken and I, as a fake immigrant, can only resolve it one of two ways:  1) call in a favor from a friend who is a pediatrician (who is awesome and thank you) or 2) drive my ass (and my son's ass) up to Toronto and it get it done there.  I'm assuming a real immigrant wouldn't have the local network to use option 1 and so would be in a tough spot.  Oh yeah, option 3 is pull my son out of school for the next 3 weeks while I wait for an appointment.  I guess I'll just say that I respect everyone's right to have an opinion on any issue, especially one as complex as health care, but if you are going to use the "Obamacare sucks because it is just like Canada" argument, please don't say that shit anywhere near me.

Did I say that I wasn't going to rant?  Huh.  Oh well.  Onto other news.  I ran today.  Short and fast.  I ran the 2.1 mile loop in the neighborhood.  I had 15 minutes as a target, but am OK with just over 16.  I'm going to assume it was 15 minutes for the first 2 miles and then the .1 took the rest of the time.

And let's add "Prayer of the Refugee" by Rise Against to the official playlist.  I really like this band - I'm afraid they may have jumped the shark on their last album, but this earlier stuff is great.  Here's the link.  Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-SQGOYOjxs

1 comment:

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!