Monday, August 6, 2012

My whole heart shook when I read in that book “you can never go home again”
But the man was wrong
‘Cause the light’s still on
-Ron Hawkins

I ran 3 miles in Houston today.  Early in my run I wanted to cross a major street so that I could run along the bayou and, as a law-abiding citizen, I pressed the crosswalk button.  Immediately it starts speaking "wait ... wait ... wait ... wait ...wait" so loud that I could hear it over my iPod.  I was about to start playing real life Frogger just to get away from it, when the light turned and it had some other instruction that I didn't wait around to hear.

I really really sweated a lot on this run.  This climate change (I mean for me personally, not the Al Gore stuff) is a pretty difficult adjustment.  But not the only one I face.  It was one thing to be a confused immigrant in a foreign country, it is way more disconcerting when it is your own.  On my run tonight I had to dodge the giant garbage bins that were put out for pickup tomorrow morning.  My garbage bin is twice the size of the one I had in Toronto and it is picked up twice as often.  My recycle bin is minuscule, but the list of excluded items is long.  I saw someone throw a beer bottle in the trash can this weekend and it felt more wrong than seeing someone smoke pot in the middle of the street.  Or maybe the same wrong. 

You can never go home again.  Ron is full of wisdom, but I may have to fight him on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!