Saturday, August 11, 2012

One house, two house, old house, new house

I do not like green eggs and ham
I do not like them, Sam-I-am
-Dr. Seuss

I was going to write this blog in the style of Dr. Seuss, but that is really hard.  Just pretend it rhymes.

Today I ran my first long run in a while.  I was hoping for 6, but it was about 5.5.  My plan was to run from my house, past my old house (not the one in Toronto), to the University and then head back home.

As I started running I was thinking about these terrible concrete paths they have in Houston.  They look a lot like sidewalks, but since no one walks anywhere they must have some other hidden purpose.  (Incidentally - I find myself searching to make sure I don't run over pedestrians when I drive and being surprised every time when I never see any).  Anyway, the ground shifts a lot and so there are surprising drops that can be unpleasant - especially when you think your foot is going to land somewhere but it doesn't actually land until a few inches lower.  So I was watching the sidewalk to make sure that I saw where my feet were going when I saw "Jesus!" written (handprints at Mann's Chinese Theater style).  I wondered if this is devotion, blashpemy, or just some guy named Jesus (that's Hey Zeus for my Northern readers) writing his name.  I'm laying odds at 2:1 devotion and I'm wondering if Jesus really supports graffiti.  Or gambling on the reason behind the graffiti.

Ran past my old house - looks like crap as they are doing some renovations.  They tore up the front yard, but only seem to working on the garage on the side.  I'm sure there is a plan.  Then I went to the jogging track.  I broke my rule against talking to people when I run to ask  "gasp, pant, is the water fountain this way?".  Got the affirmative answer and then started cursing her for lying when it kept not being there.  Of course - I too would have said anything to get away from me.  When it finally showed up I mentally apologized.

I realized on the way home that I also need to issue a public apology to my Las Vegas 1/2 marathon t-shirt.  It did, in fact, provide some cooling the other day.  I just didn't realize it until I ran today.  

We are calling this a successful long run - 5.5 counts as a short long run - not as a long short run.  Have your own Dr. Seuss fun with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!