Thursday, March 28, 2013

Years from now

You'll have learned
and you'll think you can do better
And Lord knows, you probably will
- Dave Hause, Years From Now

I took to the streets today, and rode my bike outside. One might think it not advisable to ride a bike outside with a broken foot, but I'm not that one. My foot felt fine after the gym bike, and it was so beautiful outside, and I so wanted a good workout, that I went for it. As I stopped for a truck and came down on my right (broken) foot, I thought that most people probably wouldn't do this. And for some reason it reminded me of the years after my divorce when I first tried sprint triathlons. There was a day when I was riding a mountain bike through the desert hills and was exhausted and sweating my butt off, and I had to stop. And I remember thinking, "why am I doing this to myself?" And the answer was that in some way I wanted to see if I was still alive. I needed proof that I had survived, and that I was strong. And on a much smaller scale I guess that's what today was. Not advisable, perhaps, but necessary all the same. I got in a good workout and broke a good sweat - 10 hilly miles that took me about an hour, or 2.5 running miles. 143 down.

1 comment:

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!