Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Deep In The Heart Of Winter

Winners and losers, which one will you be today?
-Social Distortion
I woke up at 4AM* and set out for my 4 mile run.  One challenge with the Tuesday morning run is dodging all the garbage cans that are set out.  But I ran down a street where I don't always run and I saw one of these giant cans decorated with a bunch of bumper stickers.  The most prominent spot was occupied by a "I'm proud of my cub scout" bumper sticker.  It struck me as odd - I guess nothing says pride like the prime spot on the trash can.

I also struggled with the wardrobe - hopefully for the last time this year.  I heard a weather report from a semi-reliable source that it was 37 degrees (F - it will be another month before it hits 37C) and so I dressed for it - gloves and green hat.  Before I left for my run, I checked and it was 47 degrees (still F - it's two months before it will be 47C).  Despite having this new information, I, like a good Texan, still went with the old intelligence, and went out overdressed.  The real problem with having a boiling head is that when you take the hat off - you have a sweaty head in pretty cool weather.  Which makes you want to put the hat back on.  I let none of this bother me on my run and am putting this one in the success column.  Two in a row - I feel like the running equivalent of the Miami Heat.  Or maybe the Chicago Blackhawks, because it's less about winning and more about not losing.  143 total.

* San Diego time.  The fact that I was not in San Diego is not relevant to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!