Sunday, September 5, 2010

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This

Okay, I tried to do nine this morning and it just was not happening. Went about two. My chest is hurting, my breathing would not settle, it was just awful. I keep thinking I must be getting sick, since I can't think of any other reason why breathing would suddenly become such an obstacle for me, but I keep not getting sick, so I just don't know. I will try again tomorrow. I don't have to be at work until 2:00 in the afternoon, so I will give it another shot. Chris is going on some huge 10 mile hike, so I will have nothing but time at home.

The last two long runs I have tried to do without having my one cup of coffee. Instead, I have done a five hour energy. It hasn't worked out well. So, tomorrow I will go back to my cup of coffee, risk of peeing be damned! Maybe the coffee has some kind of effect on lungs? Or maybe I am just too damn dehydrated in the morning to expect my body to run this long. I will say that I have not been focusing enough on fluids during my regular days for the past two weeks, and I am usually really good about that. Maybe dehydration is a cumulative thing? Maybe if you haven't had enough hydration the days leading up to a long run, it makes the long run harder? Is that your guy's experience?

The other thing I will say is that my diet for the past two weeks has been for SHIT. I haven't gained any weight, but I have NOT been eating well, if you know what I am saying. Frozen pizza for dinners and deli sandwiches for lunch. Not enough fruits or veggies. I am always reading experts who say that you should be eating well while training and I always dismissed them. I hate it when people I disregard turn out to be right! It's my least favorite thing! So, next week I'll try and focus more on eating well along with getting my short runs and cross training in. Salads for lunch! Protein shakes for snack! These are the things that make me feel well.

Anyways, I'll be giving it another go tomorrow morning, wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you aren't getting sick!!!! I don't know about the hydration thing personally as I don't pay much attention to it, but I do know that its cumulative. I do generally do better when I'm eating better. Sorry you had a bad one!! That totally sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had hydration effect my breathing. It sounds like your lungs just weren't up to it. Definitely try the cup of coffee though. It does wonders for me. I'm gonna try another 6 tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!