Monday, September 6, 2010

Best Dreadmill Run EVER!!!!

Such a weird day. I decided to do the treadmill given how fatigued I was after my 9 mi run on Sat, and I also want to make sure I keep hills in my routine because I think that makes up for some of the altitude problem I'll have (yes, I've created that exclusively in my own mind, no scientific basis). And, I was thinking I'm just going to take it real easy and do what I want. In fact, I almost swam instead, but decided I should run since I've just had a day of rest. Anyway, I started out on my 12 min pace at 2% and just felt so damn good that after a mile I only reduced it to 1.5%. Still felt pretty damn good so after that mile I went down to 1% and started thinking I need to do 4 instead of the 3 I envisioned. Getting a little fatigued but still strong, I reduced to .5% for the 4th mile. And in my head I had already crafted THIS post where I would tell you that I ran 5 full miles on the treadmill, all but 1 at an incline. So, I had to do 5. AND . . . wait for it . . . I did it in 60:18 (12:03ish miles). Which isn't great on the ground but given my treadmill history its freakin awesome!!!! And it was double the incline I ever do (normally I do 3 miles and 2, 1, and 0 respectively). And after all I've read, I'm quite convinced that this 5 miles is equivalent to 5 outside, and probably 5 with some hills outside. And, I didn't walk at all. So there's that.

I really don't know what to make of this so soon on the heels of the 9 I did. I think maybe my recent success has to do with the fact that I'm eating pretty well. Decent amout of protein and complex carbs. But maybe that's just in my head. Also, I've been doing 5x a week, and I think that's probably the biggest factor in helping me advance. A lesson I need to learn over and over again, that consistency is key to improvement.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, the 5x probably has a lot to do with it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I am resting today and will get at it again tomorrow. I'm getting so excited for both of you to come up here!!! I need to go buy a guest bed.

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!