Sunday, September 26, 2010

hilly 4.5

I had signed up for a 4.5 miler at Sabino Canyon. It was an Everyone Runs event and there were about 300 people there. I haven't been going at all, so I decided to just walk. No pressure... just cross the damn finish line. That organization doesn't have time limits. I had bought a better knee brace for my right knee, so I had the other brace on my left knee. There were lots of walkers. The temperature was about 68 degrees when we started and the sunrise in the canyon was beautiful. It was so nice I forgot I wasn't wearing my ipod until about half a mile in. Even though I haven't been exercising I did get my food together and lost about 9 lbs so far. So the XL exercise pants that I bought and wore once were literally falling down. I had to take a safety pin from my bib and pin them to my underwear. Heehee!!! It was funny. I forgot to eat breakfast so I ate some sport jellybeans and thought, this is gonna be ugly. But it wasn't. My time probably would have been better if I had eaten, but even at the end of the walk I could have kept going, no problem. A couple of the hills were really steep. There were 7 hills on the course. I tried once to run down hill but my knee said what the fuck are you thinking??? So I didn't try that again. So I did about 18:30-minute miles. Yikes!!! I am thinking, I am going to start that half marathon. I am going to walk and if I can, I am going to run a little bit. If I get picked up by the sag wagon, so be it. If I can't finish and ask them to pick me up, so be it. I may not be able to finish but I can start. I will go as fast as my body will let me and then just let it be. What I won't do is give up.
I am worried about not being able to fit in the airplane seat.

4 comments:

  1. Even at my highest weight, 275, I was able to fit into the airplane seat and did not need an extender. I know you carry your weight differently, which makes airplane seats more problematic for you, but I am still confident you will fit into the seat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, good for you for starting! The only thing that is not an option is giving up without a fight. Fight fight fight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to write about the knee brace. It is the kind with hinges on the sides. Not only did I finish with no pain, but I had no pain for the rest of the day. AND, I had no ball of foot or toe pain in that foot. I had the cheaper knee brace on my left knee, which typically doesn't bother me much, and I had major ball of foot and toe pain by the time I finished. So I stopped on the way home and bought another brace with hinges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You GO girl!!! No giving in! And awesome that you found a solution to the knee pain. Cause goddess knows you wouldn't want to see a doctor about that :)

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!