Monday, March 14, 2016

Wherein banana bread was declared the root of all evil

So, I had my annual "wellness" visit last week. It did not go well. I weighed more than I have in years, and my triglycerides are twice what they were last year. I've always struggled with the triglycerides, because I have a sweet tooth and I eat like shit. And the older I get, the less the exercise bails me out. I do blame the yoga, however, for my current predicament. This grunting sweating class makes me absolutely ravenously hungry all the time. And I pretty much always feel like I can treat myself, because I just worked out. My weekly treat of pumpkin bread or a doughnut for breakfast has become a daily habit for the last couple months. And when you start the day that way, the rest goes to hell. So I was sharing this grievance with my doctor and she asked me what I eat after I work out. Head bowed, face burning with shame, I muttered "banana bread". She laughed in surprise and then proceeded to tell me that that is the absolute worst thing I could possibly eat after muscle building exercise, and that I need to have a high protein meal and if I do eat carbs they must be complex carbs. So. Sigh. I know I need to do better. I'm a lazy eater. Cooking for one sucks, and I never know when the boy will be home. So dinner has been fast food or nachos or pasta. So anyway, I'm committed to eating better. I actually packed my lunch for work Friday and today. And this was my dinner tonight. As for running - I'm on schedule. Did the mountain yesterday, yoga and two miles tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!