Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Tale of Three Pizzas

Once upon a time I could take anything, anything.
Always stepped in time, regardless of the beat
I moved my feet, I carried weight
What I could not do I faked
-Rise Against

Yesterday, I ran near Lake Michigan, my 2nd favorite of the Great Lakes.  That's right - I have a ranking - 1) Ontario, 2) Michigan, 3&4) Those other two and 5) Erie.  A quick 3.5 miles through downtown Chicago and a little waterfront.  It went really well.  I ran fast (for me) and felt good at the end of it.

So my trip to Chicago was good - I had a whole lot to accomplish for work, but outside of that I was hoping to see Alkaline Trio and Rise Against in their home city (not playing) and to eat some Chicago-style pizza.  The first night I'm there, a vendor invites me to dinner.  One of the guys had lived in Chicago and promised to take us to the place that started deep dish pizza.  Awesome.  Except that it was Pizzeria Uno.  And it was not good.  And I knew it wouldn't be good, but couldn't come up with a plan to escape when we stopped walking and he announced "here it is".  I should have faked an injury.  So then the second day for lunch there was a buffet that had hotel-catered deep dish.  And it was OK (better than Uno).  But then after my run, I went to Lou Malnati's - ate some amazing pizza, watched the Blackhawks (silently rooting against them), and salvaged the food portion of my trip.

I think (and by "I think", I mean "I know") that I may have once said something negative about Rise Against.  I was wrong.  I was grumpy and misinterpreted some (fairly obvious) sarcasm in one of their songs.  This band is the coolest.  They are in with "This Is Letting Go" and the lead singer Tim McIlrath is in with his cover of "For Fiona".  And one more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsI9l6yyXuU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3EPF2M6Ez8

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!