Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I missed a million miles of fun

Of course you can't become
if you only say what you would've done
so I missed a million miles of fun
- Len, Steal My Sunshine

Well I'm back on the proverbial horse.  I had my appt last Tuesday and got permission to remove the boot.  The doctor said I could start back up running SLOWLY, and I was all hey, that's the only speed I got, so no problem.  But before I could run, I had to solve my shoe problem.  So I spent an hour in the running section of Sports Authorities having anxiety over which shoes to pick, and they are all so expensive!  I grilled the sales guy about his qualifications, and he insisted he knew a lot about feet because he was a former semi-pro ballroom dancer.  I didn't dive into that one.  He finally convinced me to order these Mizunos online that they didn't even carry in the store.  When I got home and researched them, I found out they weren't even a stability shoe, which I most definitely need.  So on Wednesday I went to an actual running store and tried on a bunch of shoes, and settled on a pair of Asic Kayanos.  They're a pretty cushiony and stable shoe, although they set me back quite a bit more than those bastard Sauconys.  I did a lot of reading on stability running shoes, and these Asics are near the top of almost every list (and Saucony isn't even on many lists).  I remember at the last running event I attended, where I watched my little sis do the RnR Phoenix, I was looking around at shoes and Asics were by far the most prevalent.  So, I'm hoping I found my perfect shoe. 

Long story short, I went out Wed and did two miles, and I will say it was pretty rough.  Lung burn and the whole deal.  I ran one mile and walked/ran a second.  Then Thursday I did the same thing.  I had pain in my right calf and pain in the muscles beneath my toes (never I knew I had muscles there).  I went out again on Sunday and did three, and again it was just really rough.  This evening I did 3 again, and for the first time I felt that little spring in my step when I started off.  I felt good, for just a little bit.  So it'coming back.  I don't remember having this much difficulty after my knee surgery though. Maybe it's that threshold of 43 that I crossed recently.  Getting older is a slippery damn slope. 

So April was pretty much a bust, but May is starting off ok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!