Thursday, May 16, 2013

Take Me To The Riot

My city's still breathing (but barely it's true)
through buildings gone missing like teeth.
The sidewalks are watching me think about you,
sparkled with broken glass.
I'm back with scars to show.
Back with the streets I know
Will never take me anywhere but here.
-The Weakerthans

I ran 6 miles today and 3.5 on Tuesday.  It was a bit of a sweaty run - 83 degrees didn't sound like it would be terrible, but it was.  A couple of times I thought that I was hit with a drop of rain on my face, but it was just sweat pouring off my sunglasses.  Good times.

More importantly, I have to let this out.  The Maple Leafs were winning Game 7 of their first round series 4-2 with less than 4 minutes left in the game.  And then they gave up a goal.  And then they gave up another one.  And really, once that happened, did anybody think they were going to win in overtime?  Of course not.  But then, after knowing such things could happen, I went to the little league playoff game and watched our team get down by 9 runs with 2 innings left.  And you can only score 5 runs in each inning.  Darkest before dawn, right?  My favorite player lead off, got a hit, and worked his way around the bases - little league style.  Single, take second on the throw.  Stay on 2nd when the next batter hit to 3rd.  And then take third on a ball hit to second and then take home while the shortstop, second baseman, and baserunner end up in a pile around 2nd base.  But that was all.  No more comeback - game over.  Too bad. 

But given what happened in Vancouver two years ago, I think we can all be thankful there wasn't a riot.  If you recall, the Canucks lost to the Bruins in game 7 and then set their city on fire.  I'm thankful that this week's heartbreaking loss, even though the fan base generally does not maintain perspective, did not result in a riot.  Oh and the Leaf fans behaved well too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!