Sunday, February 10, 2013

Third Lap

And the dawn, it was brilliant
We’re were listening to Marillion
I screamed rock and roll’s resilient
Then I started throwing up
-Joel Plaskett

Third lap had a major problem.  And early.  Maybe it wouldn't have been a major problem for most runners, but it was for me.  My phone started doing something really weird where it was playing songs in fast forward.  Crap.  I turned it on and off.  I tried to intimidate it into working correctly.  Nothing helped.  So now I, who only does any of this so that I can have some time with my iPod, am carrying my phone with the earbuds wrapped around it for the final monotonous lap. 

So I could hear the person behind me burp so loudly that I wanted to vomit.  And I could hear all the music that lined the course.  And the music coming from the 1/2 Marathon superfan's van.  Holiday by Madonna - not what I was hoping for.  And right by the turnaround point so there was no escaping it.  And the superfan was dancing like Craig Finn at a Mountain Goats concert (Youtube it - or else just imagine a cross between a Muppet Elvis Costello and Carlton from The Fresh Prince).  Made it to the end and saw my family waiting for me - which was nice.  I crossed at 2:09, I'm guessing my tag time will be around 2:07.  A step backwards from last time, but OK.  Got my orange slices and pizza, passed on the Diet Coke, which seemed to be the only beverage available (I would have gone with water, but maybe Diet Coke had an exclusive on sponsoring this race).  On to the next adventure - I'm thinking maybe a bike/run might be more fun, but we'll see.

Two runs so far in February for 23 miles.  Gets me to 79 total.  But don't expect any more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!