Sunday, February 17, 2013

The old lady was relentless

It was more than I could take
Pity for pity's sake
- Corrine bailey Rae

There are few things more humbling than being passed by an old lady on the trail. But I know one. Being passed by an old lady three times in the trail. Yeah that happened today. She passed bf and I first when we were walking an uphill part, and I was stunned to see her blow by. We passed her while running a downhill part, and I thought we'd got far enough ahead of her to avoid the shame of being passed again. Alas, it wasn't to be. She passed us again while we were walking an uphill part. Then bf passed me, and passed her as she stopped in the trail. I then passed her while she was stopped, but she overtook me right away. Bf managed to stay ahead of her and avoid this humiliation. On the way down we were running again and passed her again. But this time I was determined to stay ahead even though the run was killing me. Every time I stopped to walk for a bit, I'd turn around and there she would be, plugging away, so I had to run again. The old lady was relentless. She got down about five minutes after me. A worthy silver haired adversary indeed. 61 miles down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!