Monday, February 25, 2013

Special

You're so very special
I wish I was special
- Korn, Creep

I always feel pretty special when I run in the hotel gym, because I know that very few people if any from my group do so. So it makes me feel like kindof a badass. There's an added swagger to my stride on my way back to my room, although I do feel some sympathy for those unfortunate enough to be in the elevator with my smelly self. So today I skipped out right after my meeting was over in order to avoid dinner invitations. As it turns out, I needn't have worried because the only person I was concerned might invite me to dinner was at the gym when I arrived. I'll call her Hair, not because she has great hair but because she always wears it pulled back tight into a small clip, like she just got out of the shower and rushed in. And lackofhair is too long. Anyway, she was already running at speed 5 (12 min mile) (yes I looked) which is generally my dreadmill pace. So of course I got on and ran at 5.2. I was really tired and jetlagged and dying to stop and walk at times, but Hair kept me going. I had decided I was going to walk for a bit at 3 miles, but at 2.99 she started walking. So of course then I had to keep going, because I had her beat. In not competitive or anything. So I kept running and was going to stop at 3.5 but at 3.48 she stopped and was readying to leave. My inclination was to keep running until she was gone, but I'm not that ridiculous (well, probably I am). Anyhoo, Hair made me better today and for that I am grateful. So now I've got 94.5 miles done. I have a team dinner tomorrow night but if I can squeeze 2 miles in before that, and then do 3.5 on Thurs when I'm home, then I will have met my goal of 50 miles per month. And goddess willing, I won't get behind again.

**I know another band sings Creep but this is from a cover, and I can't think of who did the original. Radiohead?

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!