Saturday, June 23, 2012

Plea From A Cat Named Virtue

All you ever want to do is drink and watch TV,
frankly that thing doesn't really interest me.
I swear I'm going to bite you hard and taste your tinny blood
if you don't stop the self-defeating lies you've been repeating
since the day you brought me home.
-The Weakerthans

This song is sung from the point of view of a cat who is tired of his person's moping around.  While I might need a cat to give me such talks regularly - it's never going to happen.

Anyway, the other day a friend of mine gives me a call.

Him:  Any chance you are going for a run Saturday evening? 
Me:  Sure.  Why?
Him:  Can you feed my cat?

Funny that he asked that way.  This is a guy who has done about a million things for me and if there was a friendship scoreboard, I would be getting killed.  Of course I'll feed the cat.  But I can only assume that he asked that way for one of two reasons

1) My attempts to define myself as a non-runner who runs have failed miserably
2) He is a publicity whore who wants to be mentioned in the blog

OK - I vote for number 2.  I can't bring myself to define myself as a runner (since I can't see myself as accomplished enough to do so) so I must pick the alternative.  This blog also means that even though I fed the cat I've fallen even farther behind on the scoreboard. 

The other funny thing was that they left the key for me in a Christmas card.  I was worried it would be rude to throw the card away in the house, so I finished my run carrying a Christmas card.  3.5 miles run, 1 cat fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!