Sunday, June 24, 2012

The cats in the cradle
And the silver spoon
Little boy blue
And the man on the moon

I don't have a clue what that means or who sings it, but it was running through my head as I ran tonight at 8:30pm. I ran without music thinking it would be easier to detect and fend off any neighborhood predators. Also, I had fat dog with me. Unfortunately none of my precautions proved effective against what ultimately got me - a jumping cactus. The legend is true, we do have those in the desert, although they don't jump exactly. Or maybe they do. All I know is I was jogging innocently along when I felt something clamp onto my lower calf, in the inside. I looked down and it was one of those jumping cactii. It was fairly dried out, but some of the spines were stuck pretty good into my leg. I found two flat rocks and pried the thing off, and then pulled the individual spines out that we're left. It hurt. But, crisis averted, I ran on. I did a pretty decent 2.5 miles and walked another half home. I will be on vacation starting Monday, so not sure if/when I will run or post. I know you'll all be waiting with baited breath. I'm taking the kidlets to Yellowstone, so should be a fairly active vacation in any case. Do any of you know anyone who is qualified to feed my cat while I'm gone?

Oh also I did 2 on dreadmill yesterday. Walked most of second mile. Not good. Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. OW! Reminds me of when we first moved to Texas from Seattle; I tripped right into a patch of prickly pears while playing in the woods.

    Congrats on sticking it out for the rest of the run (pun... intended?)

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!