Friday, June 15, 2012

It's Too Hot To Be Fall

Well, there's a football in the air,
Across a leaf blown field.
-Better Than Ezra

This is my favorite song of all time.  #1.  Without a doubt.  It describes the complex optimistic but melancholy feeling of Fall in the American South.  And it always reminds about how perfectly football and fall weather go together.

But not summer.  Wednesday night was the first preseason game of the upcoming Canadian Football League season.  This is horrible.  I know that the argument goes that they have to start early so they can finish the season before it gets so f*$%ing cold in the winter.  The flaw in that argument is that it assumes that they have to play.  Why not stop?  A few years ago this league had 9 teams and two of the teams were named Rough Riders.  Really - that name is so good that two cities are fighting over it?  I guess in comparison to the other team names it is.  Tiger Cats might be the worst name in sports.  Argonauts isn't much better.  Also - Baltimore is a past champion in this league.  I think my biggest issue is that in the CFL if you surrender the ball effectively (by punting it out of the end zone) you get a point.  This is called a rouge.  I will not comment on the fact that a French word is used to describe effective surrender.

I feel better now.  Just had to get that off my chest.  I ran my standard run today and it was OK.  It felt really hot, so I think I'm going to be in trouble soon. 

1 comment:

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!