Saturday, July 6, 2013

Central Texas Run

This carrion has been forgotten
left for dead in the sun rotting
-Alkaline Trio

I ran 4 miles in the Central Texas heat.  I thought I was getting an early start, but it didn't matter.  I had a partner for the first part of the run, my small companion was running the half mile out to the mailbox and then was going to bring the mail back to the house.  But there wasn't any.  And so as he turned around and I started to set up on the rest of my run - it happened.  He fell down.  Who falls down early in a run?  Oh yeah.  I guess it must be hereditary.  Anyway, he was OK and ran most of the way back as I followed and then I turned around and did the rest of my run.

I ran down the rural road that leads to the highway.  When I got to the turnaround point, there was a line of buzzards in the road, enjoying a dead squirrel in a very orderly fashion.  I thought that I could turn around early and leave them alone, but I decided that I wasn't going to let them deter me from my route.  So I did all that I could to look strong (I didn't want to give them any ideas) and forged ahead.  They moved and I made it to the turnaround point.  And then had to go back through them.  Not feeling strong.  Luckily, this is Central Texas, and so a giant Dually (yep - that's a thing - big truck with dual rear wheels on each side) came down the road and moved them out of the way. 

I struggled on the way home.  It was hot.  And I haven't been running enough.  Oh yeah, also it was hot.  And there wasn't anyone passing out popsicles.  Anyway, it puts me at 309 for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!