Thursday, July 19, 2012

Welcome back
Your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back
To that same old place that you laughed about
- John Sebastian, Welcome Back Kotter

Yo Mister Kottaehh!  Epstein anyone?  Horseshack?  This was the song in my head as I stepped on the dreadmill today in honor of the return of our American bretheren Bad Haircut and jsw returning stateside from their Canadian adventure. Welcome home, guys.  I will miss the Canada pontification. 

Of note at the gym today - bouncy guy was there, the dude who leaps joyously on the elliptical like a gazelle, his hair doily bouncing gleefully.  Also this chubby chick (I realize that's probably not the pc term but I see it often on blogs) who is always on the same elliptical by the entry way, as if she is afraid to completely enter the room.  I have long admired this lady - she just puts on a smile and keeps coming back.  I've wanted to cheer her on but never wanted her to feel like anyone was paying attention to her.  There are a lot of "beautiful people" at my gym and it can be intimidating.  But I read somewhere on one of these blogs I link to or one that they link to that offering encouragement in such situations is a good thing.  And I have to say that if someone gave me a thumbs up on the treadmill I would get a kick out of it.  So I smiled at her and gave her a big thumbs up when I walked by.  And she seemed to get a kick out of it.

As I jogged I was listening to music along with Kotter in my head and watching an interview of John McCain (who has become a parody of himself) by Piers Morgan (who I can't stand) and McCain was saying that Obama's campaign has gone to far, and I'm certain they were discussing this ad I saw today which was pictures of countries Romney has outsourced jobs to set to the music of Romney singing America the Beautiful off key.  It was funnier than a SNL skit and I would have dropped to the floor rolling in laughter if it had been a SNL skit, but instead I was kindof horrified and saddened because its such obvious stupid shitty politics and I couldn't quite believe the Obama campaign did it.  I mean come on man, there are so many people that support you, why you gotta be like that?  What happened to the message of hope and change and all that crap? 

As I finished up my two miles and contemplated a third on the indoor track, I hesitated because of what I assumed was an agricultural worker jogging around it.  I was afraid I'd be injured by the canteloupes she was carrying in her shirt. (See prior reference to "beautiful people".  This is Scottsdale, after all.)  She eventually left though, removing one of my sources of entertainment on the treadmill, so I did a third mile on the track. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!