Saturday, July 28, 2012

One hundred five


Our hearts are only twenty-two
Our souls a hundred -five
There's a railway runs between the two
Like the freight-trains of our lives

-Ron Hawkins

I don't know how hot it was today in rural Texas, but I'll just go ahead and guess one hundred five.  It was probably "only" high nineties, but it was not good running weather.  I ran on the ranch today and so I did not see any people.  I did have a lizard run out, wait until I was parallel to it, and then take off at full speed.  It seemed to be sending a clear message that while Olympic hero (for a day) Ben Johnson may race a horse, I've got a long way to go before I can beat the local reptiles, let alone call out a mammal.

Canada note - when Ben Johnson won the gold medal the Canadian news reported "Canadian wins gold" and when his drug test was announced it reported "Jamaican immigrant found to have cheated".  Now he does commercials for the sports drink Cheetah and says "I Cheetah all the time".  Not sure if this is funny or sad.




No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!