Friday, February 24, 2012

The worst is over

The worst part is over,
Now, get back on that horse and ride.

-The Shins

One thing that I really do like about running is the internal monologue that goes through my head.  Today as I ran the first half of my run I was thinking about how difficult the run was and how my hips didn't seem to be functioning correctly and so I was sort of only running from the knees down.  Then I got to the halfway point and I thought "I've got to have something better than this to blog about".  I thought I could blog about my car troubles this week and the weird conversations I had with mechanics or the Costanza techniques one of my now former employees used to try to avoid the inevitable, but then it came to me.  I'm going to blog about having a good run, no matter how crappy this first half has been.

I recently watched the ESPN 30 for 30 about Ricky Williams.  They asked him if he blamed someone for an event in his life and he said "if you blame someone else you give away the power to fix it".  Wow - Hunter S. Runningback is right.  I'm going to take control of this run and extend it if I have to make it good.  So I ran 4.5 instead of 4, which was surprisingly enough for me to feel good about it.  And my hips started to work - mind over matter.

And yes, I'm pretty sure there will be a song from The Shins on my final playlist.  I accidently saw them live (I was at a Blue Jays game last summer with some friends and all of sudden everyone got up in the 8th and we were off to a concert) which I enjoyed and the video for "Australia" seems to have magical powers to cheer up my children when they are otherwise inconsolable.  Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!