Saturday, February 11, 2012

I didn't sleep well last night . . .

So needless to say, I didn't run well either.  It was probably somewhat because of the beer I drank last night, but more likely because of the series of text messages I received from bf at 10:34 pm last night: 
M in ambulance
I Ami
I
M in am in ambulalance
Not kidding
I m on ambulance

Now, bf is in Cape Cod this weekend for work, so it was 12:34 AM his time.  I had fallen asleep at 10, so got these messages at 1:14 am my time when I woke up and looked at my phone.  My first instinctive reaction was, well there's gonna be a good story here.  Who's he saving now?  Did one of his colleagues choke on a chicken bone, and he administered the hindlick maneuver, then accompanied said colleague to the hospital?  I've joked with him that he always has to be the hero, and he doesn't disagree.  So I responded, "baby what happened?" 

He did not respond.  I was anxious.  I tried to call him but his phone was off.  Surely it wasn't HIM that was the patient, right?  Like he'd be texting me from a stretcher in an ambulance?  Not likely.  Must be a chaotic night over there.  I drifted into an uneasy sleep. 

At 3:25 am, I received this text: 
In hospital..ok broken nose...fell on ice

OMG!!!  I tried again to call his phone but it went straight to voicemail.  I responded, can I help?  Are you in pain?  Is anyone with you?  and last, Was it your fancy dance moves?  (Yes, I asked that.)

Again, no response and no answer on his phone, until 5:15 am he said:
no on dance

Ok, thanks for answering that most important of questions, really.  BF does have an ego when it comes to his moves on the dance floor, so I understood his need to clear that misconception up right away.  I mean, he was practically a professional break dancer in high school.  That's the story he tells anyway. 

I tried again to call him at 6:55 am, and then texted: r u ok.  I was leaving him a voicemail when a strange number rang through, and at last it was him. 

He was leaving a restaurant/bar where he had been showing off his moves to the local population.  He then woke up in an ambulance, phone still in his hand, and immediately wanted to let me know where he was before he passed out again.  As it turns out, he slipped on the ice leaving the restaurant and fell hard, breaking his nose and causing a gash in his forehead and concussion.  It appears he sacrificed his head to save his phone, because when he came to, it was still in his grip like frozen talons.  This occurred some time between 12:08 and 12:34 am, and he was likely unconscious for at least 10 minutes.  Some benevolent stranger happened upon my love unconscious and bleeding on the ground, with a light dusting of snow, and called 911 and waited with him for the ambulance (which would have been at least 20 minutes away in Hyannisport). 

Upon hearing that he had simply fallen on ice and was not injured as a result of a fantastic dance catastrophe, BF demanded to be released from the ambulance, explaining that he was just fine thankyouverymuch, and there were many other people in the world more in need of this ambulance's lifesaving potential.  Needless to say, they did not comply with his pleas, and he promptly passed out again. 

My poor, poor man was alone in an emergency room all night, across the entire country from his home.  When he was released at around 5am, he took a cab to the local Walgreen's where he filled his antibiotic prescription and did not think to purchase pain medication.  When we spoke, he was back in his hotel room starving and in pain, but refusing to be a burden on others.  In fact, he was insisting he would drive himself the two hour trip back to Boston airport despite his concussion, but perhaps more importantly despite the fact that his glasses were broken in the fall and he did not have them.  Bear in mind, this is a guy who cannot see to locate his glasses unless they are on his face.  Thankfully more logical minds prevailed, and his clients arranged a ride for him back to the airport and returned his rental car. 

Now, he is in the air on his way home, and I am anxious to meet him and bring him home and nurse him back to good health.  So that is my excuse for a poor run, and he asked that I officially log this as his excuse for not running today.  So there you go.  I'll buy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!