Monday, January 2, 2017

Walking on

Walking on with no one left
Speaking softly underneath my breath
Sayin hey world you ain't seen nothing yet
Great, now it's raining.
John Mayer - Whiskey, Whiskey, Whiskey 


Today I did a really cool hike in the Superstition Mountains for a couple hours with fat dog at my side. She's limping around tonight so I feel bad, I probably pushed her too far but she had a great time. Her running days are over but she still makes an energetic hiking companion, and everybody smiles at me when I'm with her, which makes it nice. I also spent an inordinate amount of time thinking up phallis jokes about this picture. But maybe it's just me. Anyhoo, I've been contemplating my goals for 2017. The goal of 1000k makes running a real grind, a chore. And it devalues any sort of other exercise. I want to have my exercise be challenging but also inspirational and enjoyable (stay with me here). For me, exercise can almost be spiritual at times, especially when I'm in nature. So I contemplated the reasons I exercise:  1.  To maintain good health, physical and mental. 2.  To maintain my weight and look good (call
me vain if you will). 3.  To be fit enough to do the things I enjoy like snowboarding and other sports.  These purposes are all served by a variety of activities. So my goal this year is to exercise purposefully 4-5 times per week. My default will likely still be running as it always has been, but hiking counts. Swimming counts. Snowboarding counts. And I need to incorporate yoga once per week as well, which counts. I know my body needs the strength and flexibility it provides. It is so decreed, 2017. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!