Sunday, January 22, 2017

Changing

I am not done changing
Out on the run, changing
I may be old and I may be young
But I am not done changing
 - John Mayer, Changing 

"Some of us quit running. Some of us went home."  This is another line from this song that resonated with me today. I was talking to a friend recently about my asthma issues and my frustration, and he asked why I don't just quit running. And at first I was aghast at the thought. I love running for so many reasons. But I guess I do need to be reasonable in my expectations of my body, and maybe other kinds of exercise are better for me right now. I went 3.5 miles tonight and did the same run/walk/sprint/walk thing and it was ok although painful in the lungs. I was really grateful to be out there at all. This morning I received a message from a friend, crying hard, thanking me for saving her life. She had been cleaning out her closet and ran across all her old dialysis equipment and was overcome. She had visited her old dialysis center over the holidays to see her former caregivers, and inquired about some of her peers who had sat beside her for so many months in those chairs. A few of them had passed away. So I'm grateful that I have my healthy body to carry me even if it can't always do so in the ways I want. And grateful for the gift of life I was able to share. And also I will continue the fight against apathy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!