Saturday, January 4, 2014

Victim of unpreparedness

I never said you had to offer me a second chance
I never said I was a victim of circumstance
I still belong, don't get me wrong
- Billly Joel, My Life

This is the random brilliance that pops up when I hit shuffle on the iPod. I seem to remember this as the theme song to some cheesy 80's sitcom - Tootsie? After living in a steady diet of NyQuil and Mac and cheese, I finally got off the couch this afternoon and said f it, I'm going. It's been beautiful sunny days outside while the rest of the country freezes and I was anxious to get out but I tell you it was rough - lungs burning and spewing, snot blowing. J has been coming home exhausted, beat up and bloodied from the manual labor of building bike jumps on a construction lot. Thinking of him as I run, how happy it makes me that he throws himself with such fervor into his boyish things. That's it little man, save the man things for big men, at least for a while longer. And there he is, waving both hands over his head to get the attention of mom slogging by the park. Here he comes pedaling furiously over to say hi, oblivious to the friend he's left behind, clear blue eyes sparkling in the setting sun. What's for dinner, he wants to know. I love you he says. I trudge on. I made it two victorious miles. Now for a shower and grocery store to get food for the boy. Back to the human race.

1 comment:

  1. It was a sit-com called Bosom Buddies... it starred Tom Hanks and it somehow involved men dressing up as women, but I don't recall the details. I'm kind of disturbed that I remember what I do about it.

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!