Saturday, January 25, 2014

Long day

It may be better to move on,
and to let life just carry on,
And I may be wrong.
But still, I'll try.
'Cause it's better to love whether you win or lose or die
- Airborne Toxic Event, The Graveyard Near The House

I could say this was a good week, because I got 19 miles in. Or I could say it was a bad week, cause I only went three times. I had work peeps in town with the requisite dinners, etc. but this morning I went on a 12 mile hike up to Toms Thumb. It was gorgeous and difficult - about 2100 foot gain in elevation. The rock formations were incredible. The first part of the hike went poorly. I bought a camelbak last night specifically for this purpose, and the damn think leaked all over me so my shorts were soaking wet. I finally ended up carrying it and drinking all the water, figuring it's better to drink it quickly than wear it. So I was out of water halfway up. But we left at 8 and it was a very cool morning so I wasn't too worried. The last 2 miles up were real butt burners. In fact my butt is aching right now on the couch. I ran the first couple miles down but my legs were really achy. I started getting nautious, which I know is a sign of dehydration. Also I had only eaten 3 small granola bars and didn't want to eat anymore because I was out of water. And I was afraid of waking my digestive system. So the last part of the hike didn't go well either. It was totally worth it though and I will go again and be better prepared. It took 4.5 hours to do the 12-mile round trip. THEN, as much as I wanted to curl up on the couch, I went home, showered and took my Casa kids ice skating. So it's been a long day, long week. But I am grateful for a beautiful morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!