Sunday, March 25, 2012

Playlist Update #5 (No, Not Mambo #5)

And since there's no one else around,
we let our hair grow long
and forget all we used to know,
then our skin gets thicker
from living out in the snow.
-Arcade Fire

Ok, so that isn't exactly true.  I'm trying to go get a haircut, the weather has been nice, and my skin remains as thin as it always has been.  But it's time to add a Montreal band to the playlist and it might as well be Arcade Fire.  Nieghborhood #1 (Tunnels) is now officially added to the playlist.  This band must be amazing, because in general, I would not put up with a band having four different songs called Neighborhood something or having so many parentheticals in the song titles.  I really don't want to be talking about a song and have to use air parentheses to tell someone the title.  But the sacrifices I make - I put up with that nonsense because I really like this band.  As always, here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b_IHjWXbuM&feature=related
I also wonder if the USA could produce a band like this.  I know that the lead singer grew up in Texas, but I'm pretty sure it takes a great deal of socialized medicine and societial safety nets to allow an 8-piece indie rock band with a violin and a viola to achieve success.

Oh yeah - and I ran today.  Through the neighborhoods (worst segue ever).  I had a big run on my mind - starting the same as my normal "go-to" run, but then taking it North for a ways.  I struggled with the hill on Greenwood as I ran past the streetcar/train storage yard, but then I discovered the main thing the sport of running is missing - halftime.  I ran past a friend's house (in the hopes that he was standing in the street with a bottle of water for me), and he happened to be driving up (no water).  I talked to him for 5-10 minutes - which might seem like the perfect amount of time to allow lactic acid to build up in your legs, but also enough to make the back half of the run interesting again.  Or maybe it was his words of encouragement "stop running, quit doing healthy things".  Either way - I enjoyed the end of my run and can now book my longest run of this year - 7 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!