Friday, March 9, 2012

MTL Playlist Update #3

Well I don't feel better
When I'm f***ing around
And I don't write better
When I'm stuck in the ground
So don't teach me a lesson
Cause I've already learned
- The Strokes

I had a training class today that lasted until about 1:00 and then I was done with work.  I got a slice of pizza,and went to the gym, but I wasn't really feeling great because I still hadn't really digested my lunch and  my hopes of free parking at this gym location were dashed.  But then things take a turn for the good.  I see a man in full-on Michigan Wolverines basketball gear including a Rumeal Robinson jersey.  Rumeal Robinson???  I'm not sure how someone decides to buy a Rumeal Robinson jersey, so I looked him up on Wikipedia to see if maybe he was coaching a youth team in Southwestern Ontario, but according to Wikipedia he is currently in prison for fraud.  Anyway, I kept my head on a swivel looking for a Loy Vaught jersey or a Jimmy King, but no luck.

Turns out the Strokes quote was bang on for my workout - I never felt better and I kinda just f***ed around.  I got on the elliptical machine and did a fit test which told me I was in the bottom 20% for my age group.  Then I moved to the spin bike.  I've never ridden a spin bike and it looks like a great workout, but I have a hard time making my schedule work with group exercise.  I'm going to be at the gym when I'm at the gym - I can't work around anyone else's schedule.  So this spin bike has a built in virtual trainer - perfect.  So I get on and the trainer (Dolph Lundgren's little brother) appears.  He's biking in front of a background that looks like every terrible powerpoint presentation you've ever seen.  I'm listiening to my iPod, so I have no idea what he is telling me, but he puts his hand out, palm up, and then squeezes his fingers together into a fist.  I assume Drago Jr. is telling me that if I don't go faster he will crush my testicles.  Ok - this guy seems like an effective motivator, I'll tune in - what else do you have to tell me?  So when I plug in he says "Gonna make you fit, gonna make you lean, now start dipping your left shoulder in rhythm".  What?  Start dancing on the spin bike?  In Scarborough?  No.  I'm pretty sure no one would do that.  I quickly went back to the iPod.

Then I continued my peripatetic (oh yeah, anthropomorphize that - the SAT word challenge is on) trip around the cardio section with a trip to the treadmill.  I f***ed around on there for a bit and then brought this workout to a close.  Oh yeah, as is well docuemted - I can't quite get it figured out to go to the gym.  I forgot my towel again.  So I could decide not to shower, but it's cold outside and I need to go to Staples to make copies of all my tax information.  So I went with plan B - showered and then used my sweaty shirt to dry off.  Pretty sure all I accomplished was to equal out my nastiness all over my body, but I did talk myself into believing I was clean.  Workout summary - 1 mile on the elliptical, 5 miles on the bike, and 2 miles on the treadmill - none of it expecially good.

And while it is probably time to wrap up this post - the rambling continues.  Song #3 is in the playlist.  Heart In A Cage by The Strokes.  You can enjoy it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLfG8AhOAYs

And I never posted a link to Our 72 - here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw3AhLnHkqE

OK - so we have Toronto (Tim Scott), Boston (Dropkick Murphys) and now New York -any idea where we go next?  I'll give you a hint - there's three more cities to visit for this part of the playlist.  Feel free to shout out the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!