Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lover of the LIght

You spin me high so watch me as I glide
Before I tumble homeward, homeward
 - Mumford and Sons, Lover of the Light

Note to self:  never wait until dark to ride your bike.  But if you do, make sure to wear your helmet, and bring along a headlamp.  Tonight I waited until it was almost dark to go for a ride, and as I was leaving my neighborhood it occured to me that I forgot my helmet.  The last time I rode, I thought I should probably be a responsible citizen and wear a helmet.  But sometimes I'm aware that I'm being an irresponsible turd and I don't care enough to do anything abouti.  Because despite all evidence to the contrary, I do get going pretty fast on the downhills and an error in judgment (say, missing a curb) could result in a catastrophic or even fatal injury.  And, can you imagine the embarassment of showing up in a morgue dead from a head injury sustained in a biking accident when you have a broken foot? But I digress, I forgot my helmet and I declined to go back for it.  And it didn't occur to me to grab my headlamp, even though I do own one that is used primarily for barbequeing.  So I rode along in the dark more slowly than usual, because it was pretty hard to see given my city's ordinance against streetlights, and so pedestrians and other bikers came at me out of nowhere. So now I sit slightly smelly and waiting for bf to bring me dessert, which he assured me will arrive by 9:13pm.  So sure was he of that fact that he placed a wager on it - if he is late he has to give me a back massage.  If he's on time, I have to watch a high school basketball game with him.  Why would he be interested in a high school basketball game, you ask?  Apparently it's the national championship on ESPN, which I was instructed to record earlier, and U of A has recruited TWO of the top players, so he's doing some sort of scouting.  He even went so far as to predict earlier that U of A is going to win the national chamionship next year.  However, when I proposed a wager on that particular topic, he insisted that I give him odds.  So I guess he's not THAT confident despite the confidence of his prior declarative statement.  Anyway, gotta go.  It's 9:13 and I need to prepare for my massage.  150.5 down. 

small black bugs eaten:  1
grams of protein digested:  .03
large bugs that pelted me in the face:  1
survival of nighttime ride:  priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!