Sunday, December 30, 2012

Breathing School

Well, I don't know much about you
Not more than a smile or two can say
And everything I've learned about you
I've learned through the pit of my stomach anyway
-The Lowest of the Low
I ran a little over 5 miles today.  It was OK.  I've been reading "Drop Dead Healthy" by A.J. Jacobs, which is both funny and interesting.  I just read the chapter on the lungs and breathing correctly.  He talks about how stomach breathing (pushing out your stomach to inhale) made a big difference for him while he ran.  I tried.  I think I need more practice.  I had some moments when I was reversed and pushing my stomach out to exhale and vice versa.  I'm pretty sure that in the long run, I would be better served to stop running and spend my time learning how to breathe correctly.  But since this isn't a breathing blog and since it is my motivation for doing anything other than watching goofy TV shows and eating grilled cheese sandwiches - I'll keep running.

This is probably my last run of the year because tomorrow will be a pretty busy day at work, so I will do a quick year in review.  I ran way more than I ever have - my long lapses of not running were measured in days instead of months.  This despite an international move and weather extremes from Canadian cold to Houston hot.  Blogging is good for you.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!
    ! I certainly loved every little bit of it. I
    have got you saved as a favorite to check out new things you post…
    Also see my web site: lanautica

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!