Monday, November 28, 2011

Against the odds, a good one

Today, I really didn't want to go.  I had a somewhat grumpy day at work, as most of them are these days.  I stopped at McDonalds to get dinner, which I am loathe to do but I gave in and got myself a cheeseburger and a McFlurry and decided I just won't go tonight.  Its a helluva lot easier to give in to this demand for fast food than go home and cook a meal and convince people to eat it. 

I got home and was immediately accosted by a starving orange cat, an overly excited dog, and even a bunny who put his little paws up begging for my immediate attention.  The girl immediately griped that the house stinks and demanded to be taken to the gym.  The boy demanded his McDonalds and disappeared into his room.  I searched for my divorce decree, as I need the original in order to change my name back, and was frustrated to find that I don't think I have an original, or if I do I can't tell it apart from any of the copies I have.  Goddammit. 

I finally changed my clothes and ate my cold cheeseburger.  But, I changed into running clothes, which is always key, because that way I have the INTENT if not at least the OPTION of running.  Changing into the flojo is outright admitting I'm not going. 

I took the girl to the gym and decided to just run from there, that way I don't have to go home, go run, then drive back and pick her up.  All that time is wasted anyway.  So, I take off, no phone, no watch, just my ipod.  I did glance at the clock and knew I left at about 7:40 (yes thats PM folks, its not only dark but cold, so I'm facing two primary obstacles head on here).  I decided to run up this hill that is normally the end part of my 6 mile route.  I was still good and grumpy and just figured I'm going to effing walk if I want to.  I grumpily started jogging up that damn hill, the one I always swear I'd never be able to run up when I'm on my way down.  But I jogged up it, all 1.5 miles of it, and I felt ok.  I decided I'd keep going, and I went to where I figured was 2.5 or 3 miles, then turned around, still feeling pretty decent.  Remember, its dark AND cold, two variables that work to my advantage in long runs (stay with me here).  I got back down and looked at my watch and it was 8:41.  Because I don't have Mari's fancy technology to be slave to, I then drove my route and found it was 5 miles round trip, so that's darn good given the hills.  Both K and I commented that having run in the Denver altitude was incredibly beneficial for running back home.  If I keep that pace in Vegas, I will finish in 2:36ish, which would be great. 

I have still not found satisfactory cool matching hats for us all to wear, so that's a quandry that needs to be solved this week.

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome Sandy. I'm sad that I didn't earn a hat. :( Is Kailey running the half? Maybe she should be blogging, if she's running. I don't know how you put up with all that pressure when you get home, on top of a full day at work. Props.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will earn another hat!! But not Nigel. K isn't running the half, she just went with me in Denver one day. And thanks for the props, I need them. BD

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!