Saturday, May 29, 2010

Okay, so I did my four miles today on the treadmill, which is what I had on my training schedule. I did the first mile at no incline, the second two miles at .5 and the last mile at 1. SO, in an effort to solve my little "outside" problem, I tried to pay really close attention to my body during the run, and at what points it felt harder and easier, etc. And I found that right around 2.5 miles was when it was pretty difficult (coincidentally, the time I have been typically throwing in the towel on my outside runs), but then if I can just stick it out, I get that really good endorphin or whatever rush right around the three mile mark, that point where my body says "oh, okay so you are going to keep on doing this even though I told you to stop, okay then, here's some help", you know that point? Well, anyways, so I am going to try really hard to keep that in mind on my next outside run, which is on Thursday, I am supposed to do three miles.

So, then, on the way home from the gym, I was driving through my neighborhood and realized that there was a block that was pretty level, and I realized that I could just measure that "loop" and I drove it and I there aren't any major hills, just small slopes. One of the loops is .4 miles, so if I do eight of those, that is 3.2 miles. SO, I am REALLY hoping that will resolve my little problem of the damn hills. And I'm not too worried about it being too boring, since I am the same person who walked ten miles on the treadmill during my last training for the race in Phoenix. AND, I think it will be helpful to be in my neighborhood, where it is relatively quiet and no traffic whizzing by me, making me more apt to focus on making sure I am safe and the dog is safe, and just generally distracting me.

So, we'll see.

Tomorrow I have 45 minutes of the bike. Then treadmill during lunch on Tuesday and then three miles outside on Thursday morning. And speaking of which, on my training calendar that I made up for myself, I put down the times that I am going to do the runs, you know? So, I was putting on there for Thursday mornings that I am supposed to do a three mile run "upon waking." And Chris has not stopped making fun of me for this....going on a week now. Is it as funny as he is saying? Because I am really not thinking so.

3 comments:

  1. I suppose its kinda funny. But not THAT funny. I presume you "awake" at the same time every Thurs? I admire you for being able to go in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I thought about it and decided that I could tolerate doing it first thing in the morning ONCE a week. That's it. Just once. So, that is how I scheduled it. Although I do routinely do the weekend ones in the morning as well, but those aren't the same thing, since I don't go until 8:00 in the morning, it's not "upon waking" as it were. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were to go "upon waking" on a Saturday it would be at 10am!

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!