Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I've Got A Lot To Say - Woah

He's in love with rock n roll, woah
He's in love with getting stoned, woah
He's in love with Janie Jones, woah
He don't like his boring job, no
-The Clash

This song makes me think of David Allan Coe.  Because, he, like the Clash, furthered race relations through his music?  Not so much.  Because he sings that song about writing the perfect country song.  And this song, Janie Jones, pretty much sums up the punk scene of the 70s and 80s.  Let's check in with our protagonist.  He likes his music, partying, and his girlfriend.  But he doesn't really care for his job.  And we get to shout "woah" at the end of each line.  What's not to like?

I decided to take a hiatus from blogging these last couple of weeks.   As interesting as it is to write about how hot it is and how my run didn't go as well as planned, it was starting to seem a little trite.  So I tried something a little different.  I ate a lot of mashed potatoes until I gained 12 pounds.  And by "ate a lot of mashed potatoes", I mean "bought a weighted vest".  Free shipping - wouldn't think you could get that on something designed to be heavy.  Anyway, I ran 3 miles today with my 12 pound friend and didn't mind that I was going slowly. 

But the really good news is that it didn't interfere with the mind-wandering that I tend to enjoy while I run.  I was thinking about my recent post about Boston Pizza which made me think of another Canadian restaurant institution, Swiss Chalet.  Which is a chicken joint.  And not decorated like a Chalet - some of them are stuck on the side of a sister restaurant called Harvey's where they sell crappy hamburgers.  Which is how you can tell I'm not Canadian.  They love those burgers.  And they love the gravy at Swiss Chalet.  And they don't call it gravy.  Which reminds me of my favorite Swiss Chalet story - and I wasn't even there.  My friend was heading home after a night on the town and is waiting at the streetcar stop.  He has $2 in his pocket which is enough to ride the streetcar home.  Except that he looks across the street and sees a Swiss Chalet.  And if you knew this friend, you would know that he would have absolutely no regrets about his decision to use his $2 to purchase a pint of gravy and drink it on the walk home.  Sorry - Chalet sauce, not gravy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!