Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Doubly blessed

Remarkably, I was not recalcitrant to get out of bed at 6 am this morning. I woke to the beautiful sound of rolling thunder, and it was a perfect day for an early mountain run. I ran more than I did yesterday but it was still tough. About a half mile from the top, I saw a biker pulled over and looking in the brush. She pointed out to me a black rattlesnake that had been on the path! I don't think I've ever seen a rattlesnake in the wild, and from what she said, this black one was a rare sight and more poisonous than other rattlers. We watched it for awhile until it disappeared, and I felt so lucky to have seen it. 
 
I got to the top along with the sun and then ran a lot of the way down.  About a mile from the trail head a deer leapt across the trail right in front of me. It was amazing. I think I startled him with all my huffing and puffing. He stopped a way off the trail and just stared at me and I could see he had a small rack (keep your minds out of the gutter please). Two very cool and rare sights on the trail this morning!  What a beautiful and perfect way to start my day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!