Thursday, September 5, 2013

Cry in the Sun

With a hand to your head
You sigh out loud
As a memory rushes over
And buries you
 - BTE, Cry in the Sun
 
There's another line in that song, "when the devil beats his wife," that my dad always used to say when it was raining and the sun was out.  I never understood that line, and I still don't today.  Anyway, I was a little reluctant to try the mountain this morning given that it was supposed to be 88 degrees at 6am, but I decided to go for it.  I had a lot to do today and my day always goes better when I've had a chance to seek solace on the mountain, especially when I'm rewarded by deadly snakes and deer.  So I went up and it really wasn't too bad heat-wise, there was a decent breeze blowing.  I ran more than I have the past couple times, and it's motivating to race the sun to the top. I beat the sun by quite a bit this morning, and was running down thinking I'm gonna run the whole way down today, and see how far I can get before the sun hits me.  I was feeling alright.  And then it happened.  The sun hit me.  The devil beat his wife.  I felt my toe catch going down a good slope, and I flailed for what felt like three minutes, thinking wow that was a close one, I almost lost it, that would have been painful.  Except then I was sprawled out sliding face first down the mountain, my bra filling up with sand and rocks.  It wasn't my usual kind of fall, where I bounce back up quickly to save face with anyone who may be around.  No.  I laid on the ground stunned after this one, and got up very slowly.  I was covered in dirt, road rash and pasty blood.  Good times on the mountain, people!  I hobbled down, and even ran some of the rest of the way, and soaked my wounds when I got home.  Now my body aches in that old lady kind of way and I have a painful bruise near where my foot broke before.  Counting myself lucky.  4.5 for today, mark it down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!