Sunday, January 15, 2012

"I could wait on you forever"

Yes that's Justin Bieber for you folks.  It's also likely what bf was thinking as he waited for me to cross the finish line this morning.  My musical strategy today was to simply put my iPod on shuffle, so I got some stuff not on my normal rotation, thus the Biebs.  I think the best distraction from pain for me is listening to songs that remind me of other people, and that way I can dedicate time to them.  But today I found myself inadvertently dedicating time to Rihanna and Chris Brown. 

Anyhoo, the race went well, better than expected actually, although I thought I might weep when it started raining a little as we were parking.  I started taking short walk breaks after 3 miles, pursuant to my pain avoidance strategy.  I felt pretty good even up to mile 8, which is about where I got real sad in Vegas. 

At mile 10, I actually felt optimistic, which is an entirely new experience for me at that point in a race.  I had figured that by then I would finish in under 3 no matter what I did.  I did struggle through miles 10-13 undoubtedly, both running and walking, but I felt so much better than Vegas it was crazy.  And, based on my time benchmarks, I actually increased my pace miles 10-13 over 6-10.  Up to 6, I was keeping a 12:30 pace.  At 10 it had gone up to 13:38 but by finish it was back down to 13:26.  There was a lovely 2 mile downhill at 10 that certainly made it easier!  My finish time was 2:51, about 13 min pace overall, and I'm happy with that given my lack of training and especially my poor showing in Vegas!!

Now I'm laying in bed with a bad case of hiccups.  I'm really glad I tackled this one despite my misgivings. 

On to Montreal!




No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!