Friday, January 20, 2012

Half Marathon, Half Hilarity

There were no prerace McDonald's snack wraps waiting outside the corral, but there was other prerace hijinks. Beautiful, soft gentle pre dawn morning with me picking up gf for boring prerace plan of oatmeal, bagel, coffee, bottled water, sports drinks. Both were in our running costumes ready to roll right through and get right to it with focused minds, but we were both victims of mistaken identity. An undercover fashion policeman blows his cover and shouts to me "you must really like red." Admittedly I was dressed a bit like a ketchup bottle, but I smelled danger in his sarcasm, obviously fishing to see if I he had uncovered my true identity as either a rabid communist trying to bring back the USSR one monochromatic day at a time or if not that, then naturally super under cover gang bangin blood. In either case, it drew attention to both of us. Enough to where as gf was sitting down, another gentleman asked if she was in fact running the marathon morning. Sweet demure gf affirmed that she was running that morning. He asks what she will run the marathon in.

I am overhearing this conversation as I am getting my coffee and start smiling at where this verbal ride could go. GF drops on the old man that she plans on running the race in 2 hours, 30 minutes. The proverbial gasp of energy that swooshed like a hurricane upon hearing that gf was going to run the FULL marathon in world class fashion was unmistakable. Now I can't get the cream cheese on my bagel fast enough, so I don't miss this show. Eventually gf realizes that he is wildly impressed of her ho hum, just short of cheetah fast 2 hours 30 min full marathon and now begins sharing a secret he only shares with those people fast enough to be worthy of his affiliation. Come to find out that is family too has a lineage of Olympic quality marathon prowess. Poor gf was in too deep, and couldn't climb out of this ditch and just made his day by letting him have the story his life. He was left with in fact, he had yet again been blessed by the presence of super human long distance speed.

Listening to these two burners share their love for running fast was awesome. I was so jealous.

GF did run a great race improving her last time significantly and even drank a pre race COKE (regular coke) which was amazing to me but that's why I am not world class. I posted a 1:53:21. Hold your applause.

1 comment:

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!